FreeStar Financial Credit Union was founded in 1957 by members of the military, and it is important to us to continue supporting our veterans by providing helpful information.
The credit union offers a Veterans Package checking account that includes:
- Free FreeStar Financial Flag of Freedom checks – One box per year
- Free Corporate Checks
- Free Paper Statements
- 0.25% APR discount on consumer loan rates
- Looking for a new home?
FreeStar Financial offers VA loans with no money down and no closing costs.
Military Line Of Credit
Need cash for vacation, car repair or unexpected expense? We have a Military Line of Credit (MiLOC) for our military members with little or no credit history.
Effective May 1, 2014 veterans that have an honorable discharge (with the VA form DD214) can apply at the Secretary of State to have the “Veteran” designation added to their state ID or driver license. Having this designation on their ID allows veterans to receive discounts available to them with ease as well as get them in contact with services that are only available to veterans. Please visit the Secretary of State’s website for more information.
Senate bill 352 recently passed says: (1) Real property used and owned as a homestead by a disabled veteran who was discharged from the armed forces of the United States under honorable conditions or by an individual described in subsection (2) is exempt from the collection of taxes under this act.
- Air National Guard
- Buddy to Buddy Program (volunteer veteran program)
- Deployment Information
- Detroit FMWR
- Detroit Regional Benefits Office: 1-800-827-1000
- Join the Military
- Questions to ask the recruiter
- Leaving the Military? Advice on health care, taxes and more.
- Macomb County Vet Center: 586-412-0107
- Macomb County Veterans Services: 586-469-5315
- 21885 Dunham, Suite 3, Clinton Township (open Mon-Fri 8:30am-4:30pm)
- Michigan Office of Veterans Affairs: 517-284-5298
- Michigan Veterans
- Military Spouses Information
- Military and Veteran Benefits
- National Council for Aging Care's guide on military veteran benefit options
- Selfridge Psychological Health Program: 586-239-2510
- Taking Care of Your Credit
- Tax Tips -- Filing extensions
- VA Home Loan Eligibility
- VA Home Loan Tax Exempt Info
- VA Medical Center: 313-576-1000
- Veterans Welcome Packet
- Vets Returning Home
Senator Gary Peters offers federal assistance to Michigan veterans by calling his Detroit office at 884-506-7420 or visit peters.senate.gov/services/help-with-a-federal-agencyGo to main navigation